Estates & Wines, the Moët Hennessy wine division, is a unique collection of prestigious wineries spread across 5 continents. Our vineyards are located on exceptional sites and are among the best terroirs of their appellation and each of our wineries have broken new ground - by pioneering new or forgotten regions; or through innovative & distinctive winemaking techniques.
Based in Margaret River, Western Australia and reporting to the Technical Director, the Assistant Viticulturist VIE is assisting in the Cape Mentelle's viticultural technical programs including liaison with Viticulturist and Winemakers and, when required participating in vineyard and harvest operations.
Using current and new tools including GIS, the Assistant Viticulturist VIE takes a lead in researching, implementing and restituting all Vineyards R&D undertakings, with a strong focus on micro-zoned ultra-premium Cabernet production and rework/ replant projects.
Vineyard strategy and routine operations
- Assist in developing the yearly vineyard strategy according to the lifecycle of the vine
- Assist the Viticulturist in relaying information and techniques to the site supervisors
- Collect, analyse and report on spot data such as soil profiling, stem water potential monitoring, true vigour assessment with Physiocap®, etc.
- Assist in pruning operations
- Conduct vineyard inspections
- Coordinate and assist in delivering the preliminary grape yield estimates by 30th November and final grape yield
- Coordinate and perform fruit maturity sampling and data collection
- As needed, execute vineyard operations
Research and Development:
- In direct concertation with the Technical Director and the Viticulturist, lead the Cape Mentelle Vineyard Research and Development efforts
- Review, contribute and make proposals to the on-going Cabernet Icon applied research
- Analyze and contribute to soil moisture data collection, irrigation management and planning, soil management
- Manipulate and create data in Cape Mentelle's Global Information softwares
- Manage file format and data collection to keep adding to Cape Mentelle's vineyard data Library
- In coordination with the Winery and Lab team, contribute to the collection and analysis of all harvest data related to vineyard research
- Prepare presentations and research restitution for internal and intra-Group sharing
Health & Safety
- Provide leadership and ensure compliance with all Health and Safety policies
- Report incidents and injuries in accordance with the relevant procedures
People and Culture
- Take a leadership role, participating as part of the Viticulture management team, contributing to company direction and development
- Share and develop new technical skills with the Viticulture team
- Build a culture which embraces safety, environment, quality and alignment to company goals as key values
- Assist in team projects
Tertiary qualification in Viticulture or directly related field
Languages : English
Professional experience & know how :
- Significant practical vineyard experience (1-2 years as trainee at a minimum) and general knowledge of farming systems
- Experience with developing and implementing yearly vineyard management plans for ultra premium wine production.
- Experience with Global Information System software (ArcGIS, QGIS) essential, experience with Precision Viticulture programs and processes desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of advanced vineyard water management strategies, traditional (partial root zone drying, deficit irrigation, ...) and leading edge techniques (plant captors, spatial imaging, ...)
- Knowledge and experience of vineyard nutrition and fertilization planning
Technical & management skills :
- Developed written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Developed scientific method, critical analysis and research ability
- Ability to undertake vineyard operations and "physical work", carry up to 25 Kg.
- Time management skills
- Knowledge of safe work systems and processes
- Mapping & Vineyards management Software
Personal & interpersonal skills :
- Personal integrity and a strong work ethic
- Self-starter, comfortable with autonomous work
- Integrity and trust
- Flexible approach